Friday, July 19, 2013

I just wanna decorate, y'all!

I'm starting to get impatient.



Well, I'm always impatient. But even though we've only been living here for under three weeks, it feels to me as though we've been here for a year. And there are still SO MANY big-picture things to do. Over half the house still needs painted. Our dining room is basically just a dumping ground. I need to organize and clean out about a billion little nooks and crannies (starting with our laundry closet thing, which is a big yuck). The stairs need refinished or SOMETHING desperately, which I just noticed last night (maybe we'll invest in a runner like this?). I've basically forgotten we have a third floor, which is pretty much the best part of the house. The whole outside needs a whole lotta...I have no idea what, but it needs it. And while I genuinely don't mind painting, and it's exciting to see the transformation that painting brings about, my brain is starting to get whiny about it. "I don't WANNA paint anymore, I wanna DECORATE!"



I know that owning a house is literally a never-ending process, and that it takes YEARS to develop a fluid design personality, but all I want to do is make this house feel like ME. Unfortunately, that's pretty much impossible until we have at least a big chunk of the major stuff that needs done out of the way. Also, it feels like we're bleeding money out of our eyeballs (probably because we are). So, while I want to buy 10 area rugs and 3 armchairs and 6 console tables and new bedroom accessories and knick knacks out the ears and and SO MUCH WALL ART and don't forget frames and candles and lamps and window treatments and oh my lord you guys, I wasn't kidding when I told you we had NOTHING decoration-wise to start with. But anyway, I can't buy all of that stuff at once, and certainly not when I still have about a million gallons of paint to buy, and a guest room to furnish, and poor Jeff's office, and I need SOMETHING to put in the dining room by Thanksgiving, because it's looking like we'll be spending it here. It's a little overwhelming, and it's starting to feel like this place is going to feel stark and empty until 2075. Deep breath. Little by little. I know that the best way to do things is to go room-by-room, but when EVERYTHING needs done, it's kind of hard to prioritize. Maybe we need to start making lists. For now, I'm just thankful that we're at a point where it feels liveable and we can be comfortable. Does anyone have any prioritizing suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment